Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Say Peas!

I wanted to wait until Henry was closer to 6 months before starting him on solids other than rice cereal, but unfortunately that's not how things fell into place. Henry was showing all the cues for solid food, so I went with it. His doctor said that it would be ok to go ahead and introduce one fruit or vegetable once a day for the next month or so. Since at this stage, solids are more for food training rather than consumption, I am taking this time to learn the art of homemade baby food and teaching Henry mealtime manners. We'll get into that one later.
All in all, he did a fabulous job. I started with peas. My favorite vegetable! As far as he is concerned, peas are stupid and are not milk. Therefore he was not thrilled. I'll give it some time and keep working with him. Couple of bites a day...or until he gets to the point of outright agitation. I have decided to invest in the Boon Spoon, as he smacked the little rubber tipped spoon out of my hands several times.....this is where the mealtime manners will come into play.
I let him get a feel for the peas in every way shape and form. Fed him a few bites, and let him "play" with a small bit on his tray. He was amused! I can't say that I ended up covered in peas, he somehow managed to spit the peas in the air and they landed on HIS forehead.
Here are some pictures from his big day!




Notice the color difference in the fresh peas, and the Gerber ones! SICK!

1 comment:

  1. Looks fun! I love making Jackson's baby food. He loved peas initially, but when I started making then a little thicker, he absolutely refuses them from a spoon! I have to give him a few finger foods and slide the peas in his mouth as he attempts to put something else in his mouth. Early on, he really like sweet potatoes and butternut squash because they are a bit sweeter.

    I always freeze his in small cubes. They seemed to be a perfect portion size for the beginning stages and now we thaw two per meal and add in a few little things from the table. Most things freeze well for at least 30 days.

    P.S. I LOVE your baby food maker!

    ReplyDelete